22%
32%
35%
Inga röster
5%

Antal röster : 37

3x05 Homecoming

Inläggav caffeineaddict » ons okt 01, 2003 1:21

GRYMT underhållande standalone-avsnitt, mer sevärt för dess komiska och actionfyllda höjdpunkter än för några större dramatiska utvecklingar (bortsett från en mycket speciell scen för mig som jag återkommer till senare).

Gott om kaxiga kommentarer, roliga detaljer och bra, spännande action förekommer här. Älskar att se Buffys mindre nobla och något mer själviska sidor. Diggar Mr Trick ordentligt. Avsnittet innehåller även The Mayors första framträdande, och han är ju en underbar karaktär från start. Och alla kaxigheter och detaljer i kampen mellan Buffy och Cordelia är riktigt kul.

Gillar även att Cordelia erkänner att hon faktiskt är kär i Xander, även om hennes förklaring till detta ("He kinda grows on you, like a Chia Pet") är något mindre romantisk.

Okej, på minussidan finns ett gäng logiska missar bl.a.: varför skulle Lyle och Candy Gorch inte döda Giles utan bara knocka honom? De är vampyrer för sjutton! Och vart gjorde Buffy, Giles och Cordelia av de tyska soldaternas kroppar? Har Sunnydale High vant sig så mycket vid mystiska händelser och annorlunda företeelser att ett par döda kommandosoldater i klassrummen inte märks så mycket?

Sen blir man ju irriterad på den lilla korkade råttan Scott Hope när han gör slut med The Buffster (spoiler S7):(även om detta är något mer förståeligt nu när vi vet att han egentligen är gay :D ).

Men sen blir det dags för mig att diskutera avsnittets absoluta höjdpunkt, en höjdpunkt i tamefan hela serien för oss Xander/Willow-älskare: The clothes fluke! Ojojoj, den är så rolig, så romantisk, så sorglig, allt på en och samma gång! HELT fantastisk scen, med en alldeles sanslös kemi mellan Aly (sällan vackrare) och Nick ("We need to get out of these clothes!"). En scen som verkar så lätt och självklar när man ser den, men ändå måste vara så svår och avvägande att få till, och ett sant tecken på BtVS enorma styrka! Så alla ovanstående missar i resten av avsnittet är glömda och förlåtna så fort jag tänker på den.

Betyg: 8

"Ma'am, cheese is on it's way. Here's an interim banana."
- VEEP

MP3 | CD | DVD/BD | BF:s favoritfilm 1940-1949: omröstning

Användarvisningsbild
caffeineaddict
Tyrolerhatten

Ort: Inte Norrköping längre, har jag fått påpekat för mig.

Inläggav Teo » tor mar 18, 2004 22:45

Bra avsnitt en åtta av mig med.. Älskar bara scenen mellan xander/Wil och sen att mistar cordy för slayer kul.. Och intressant att man kan skrämma en vampyr..
Användarvisningsbild
Teo
Big Bad

Inläggav Mr Chase » mån mar 22, 2004 3:46

Mr Chase försöker och misslyckas med en drastisk distraktionsreduktion:

39. Homecoming

Mr Trick: "Ladies, gentlemen, spiny-headed looking creatures, welcome to SlayerFest '98!"

I am very ambivalent about this episode. On the one hand, Mr Trick and his Slayerfest and on the other a season one redux, not to mention Willow and Xander, ewww! I thought that most of the gang was acting out of character, or at least in a way that they had been acting before, and it felt very forced at times. It seems that the writers haven't assimilated the changes that has taken place in the meantime, like the relationship between Buffy and Cordelia, and especially the one between Willow and Xander. I can see were Joss is going with this, but sorry, it doesn't ring true to me.

Cordelia is back in old Queen bitca mode and Buffy has had her prom queen within awoken. And war ensues as both of them fight for something as trivial as the title of Homecoming Queen -- especially considering all the more serious slaying things that they have been doing -- burning bridges and hurting old friends in the process without any second thoughts. I really didn't care for either Cordelia and Buffy in this episode and it was only fitting that neither of them won in the end.

While it might be true, as has been suggested, that Buffy pulled a Ross Perot on Cordy, I think that both girls at this point have gotten so beyond the normal high school existence that other kids will have a hard time relating to them. Buffy was never in the popular loop in first place and Cordelia has "sacrificed" her popularity to be with Xander (note how Buffy lists Xander as one of Cordy's weaknesses) and becoming one of the Scoobies. And Cordy could never hope to win by just reaching out for the geek vote, especially if she doesn't know the first thing about the "Vulcan Death Grip" (there is no such thing, and if I'm allowed to reveal my inner geek, that phrase is actually a litmus test for true Trekkers; there is however a Vulcan Nerve Pinch). No amount of last ditch campaigning, cupcakes and gift baskets notwithstanding, was ever going to change that fact.

Buffy: "Now, this is just like any other popularity contest. I've done this before. The only difference being this time I'm not actually popular, although I'm not exactly unpopular. A lot of people came to my welcome home party."
Willow: "But they were killed by zombies."
Buffy: "Good point."

The conflict between Buffy and Cordelia isn't actually about any real animosity between them, harsh words aside. It's more about regret and loss. Buffy has from time to time expressed the opinion to be normal and escape her slayer destiny. Cordelia feels a void in her life. What is her destiny more precisely? But I'm pretty sure she feels more alive now as a Slayerette than she ever did as Queen C but the old has a way to reassert itself from time to time. Cordy wonders why Buffy would want a tiara when she has all this slaying to make her feel important.

However I didn't really buy it this time. Been there, done that! Buffy should by now, as has been shown in a number of previous episodes, have come to terms with her destiny. And Cordelia can make herself a useful part in the slayage thing (she should stay away from assault rifles though, and stick with spatulas). Remember the highlight when she literally talked Texas vampire Lyle Gorch to run away, ROTFL. You go, Cordy!

Lyle: "I'm gonna kill both you Slayers for this! You hear me?"
Cordelia: "I hear you, you redneck moron! You got a dress that goes with that hat?"
Lyle: "I'm gonna..."
Cordelia: "Rip out my innards, play with my eyeballs, boil my brain and eat it for brunch? Listen up, needle-brain. Buffy and I have taken out four of your cronies, not to mention your girlfriend."
Lyle: "WIFE!"
Cordelia: "Whatever. The point is, I haven't even broken a sweat. See, in the end, Buffy's just the runner-up. *I'm* the Queen. You get me mad, what do you think I'm gonna do to you?"
Lyle: "Later."

If there are some persons acting out of character more than others in this episode it most certainly are Willow and Xander. The clothes fluke! I absolutely, unequivocally *hated* it! It was positively horribly cringeworthy, and I'm not just saying that because I'm an ardent Buffyverse "old schooler". I know that there's been a fair number of fans wanting them to get together since the first season and if they had by, let's say, "Lie to Me", it would've been five-by-five with me. But now it's not, dammit!

Aside from the terrible and unjustifiable hurt that it would afflict on two otherwise nice innocent characters, Oz and Cordelia, the "attraction" comes right out of the blue. Sure Willow had some feelings for a then quite oblivious Xander in the past, but as we have seen she's grown way past those and found bliss with the Wolfman. And Xander never really had any feelings like that for his old friend (except perhaps for a seconds brief ice cream-on-the-nose fluke way back in the first episode of season 2). Those kinds of feelings were reserved early on for Buffy, who didn't reciprocate, and later for Cordelia, who has, and that with a bang.

Spoiler the rest of Buffy and Angel
I can never bring myself to believe in the Willow/Xander thing and I'm not really sure why Joss put it in there. I mean, it doesn't lead anywhere. It's just a fluke, albeit it goes on for a couple of episodes and ends in total devastation. They don't wind up together. In hindsight it's just a convenient plot device to distance Cordelia from the Scooby gang in general, and Xander in particular, so that she can move to Los Angeles and help Angel fight big city demons in the spin-off series "Angel". Her relocation is maybe a good thing (haven't seen "Angel" at the present so I reserve further judgement on that) but from a "Buffy" standpoint I felt it was too contrived. And if the plan was to ship her off, then why on earth couldn't they have waited. It was just the early episodes of the season, for crying out loud, and a lot more of them to come after these ones. Had they really run out of ideas about what to do with her character and her relationship with Xander? Pfft... Definitely *not* happy about this as you can tell. Probably the single most irritating thing I can never forgive Joss for doing. (Well there is one other thing...)
Willow: "I'm a rabid dog who should be shot! But there're forces at work here! Dark, incomprehensible forces."
You should be, Will and you're sure right about the last part. They're called Joss!

Both pairings, Willow/Oz and Xander/Cordelia, are so right for each other. The wandering Oz gets some sense of stability from Will and she gets to be a little wild and assertive around him. Xander was always the one to face up to Cordelia and she was strangely drawn to him because of that. And she responded of course, in her trademark tactless fashion. Both Xander and Cordelia have layers upon layers -- Xander wears a mask with his constant jokes and carefree attitude and Cordelia one with her alternate bitchy/popularity persona. But neither of those are the true persons beneath and it is only together that they can bring their respective walls down. Of them Cordelia has come the furthest as this episode clearly reveals in her conversation with Buffy in the beleaguered forest cabin.

Cordelia: "I'm never gonna know if it's real between me and Xander, or if it's just some temporary insanity that made me think I loved him. And now I'm never gonna get the chance to tell him."
Buffy: "You really love Xander?"
Cordelia: "Well, he kinda grows on you, like a Chia Pet."

On a side matter, Buffy is still keeping Angel's return a secret. The takeout blood was humorous but why on earth would she tell someone that has suffered eons in another hell dimension that she's seeing someone else? And then cut to Scott dumping Buffy. It should have been the other way around but at least now we got rid of the annoying boy. Faith takes it upon herself to humiliate him in front of his new date at the dance. Way to go, Faith, LOL.

Faith: "Scott? There you are, honey! Hey, good news. The doctor says that the itching and the swelling and the burning should clear up, but we gotta keep using the ointment."

So if I can think away the clothes fluke and the silly girl rivalry all that is left is the Slayerfest and that was entertaining in itself, and of course our first meeting with the Mayor. On the outside he seems nice but at the same time he has a menacing craziness and compulsive obsessiveness that makes him so creepy, and such a perfect new villain for Buffy and the other Slayerettes. That introduction alone makes me accept this instalment.
Rupert Giles: "I'll be back in the Middle Ages."
Miss Calendar: "Did you ever leave?"
Användarvisningsbild
Mr Chase
Zeppo

Inläggav Mr Chase » mån mar 22, 2004 12:54

Och för alla er som undrat vad en "Chia Pet" är för något:

Bild

Och en lite mer skämtsam (?):

Bild
Användarvisningsbild
Mr Chase
Zeppo

Inläggav Noggster » mån mar 22, 2004 13:36

Konstigt att avsnittet som har massa CC i sig blev den längsta recensionen någonsin?

Gillar detta avsnittet, om man skulle ta bort tyskarna.. Lite extremt för min smak.
Vill inte dela ut några poäng förren jag har sett om det igen, för minnet är svekfullt.
Användarvisningsbild
Noggster
Zeppo

Inläggav Mr Chase » mån mar 22, 2004 13:38

Noggster skrev:Konstigt att avsnittet som har massa CC i sig blev den längsta recensionen någonsin?

Mycket konstigt :D !
Användarvisningsbild
Mr Chase
Zeppo

Inläggav Noggster » mån mar 22, 2004 19:32

Såg det nyss igen.. roligt avsnitt, älskar när CC skrämmer Gorch.
Användarvisningsbild
Noggster
Zeppo

Inläggav Teo » ons mar 24, 2004 15:49

Musiken i homecoming vad är det för nå't?
Användarvisningsbild
Teo
Big Bad

Inläggav suprmicael » ons mar 24, 2004 17:17

Vilken musik tänker du på?
Äh.
Svar här:

http://www.buffyguide.com/episodes/homecoming.shtml
+++--100--+++
Användarvisningsbild
suprmicael
Minion

Inläggav Teo » ons mar 24, 2004 17:18

All :)
Användarvisningsbild
Teo
Big Bad

Inläggav Teo » ons mar 24, 2004 17:22

Hmm har nån musiken kolla på dc och ett annat nerladnings pogramm hitta inget.
Användarvisningsbild
Teo
Big Bad

Inläggav suprmicael » ons mar 24, 2004 17:42

Måste ju rösta också. :)
+++--100--+++
Användarvisningsbild
suprmicael
Minion

Inläggav latarmig » lör jun 12, 2004 15:22

Såg en liten kul detalj. På Buffys stora tavla över hennes motståndares starka och svaga sidor kan man se en liten fin sak: Längst ner på listan över Cordelias svagheter står det "Xander". :-)

Såg just att det redan var nämnt i tråden. En vacker dag ska jag lära mig att läsa först och skriva sen. :-/
latarmig
Big Bad

Inläggav sus@n » lör jun 12, 2004 17:18

latarmig skrev:Såg en liten kul detalj. På Buffys stora tavla över hennes motståndares starka och svaga sidor kan man se en liten fin sak: Längst ner på listan över Cordelias svagheter står det "Xander". :-)

Åh, sånt missar jag alltid. Ska kolla extra noggrant nästa gång :)
Användarvisningsbild
sus@n
Witch

Inläggav caffeineaddict » lör jun 12, 2004 21:00

Japp, det märker jag varje gång. Det är alltid lika roligt. :)

Hela listan:

CORDELIA
Strengths: Popular with boys. Makes friends easily. Has money. Expensive clothes. Perfect teeth.
Weaknesses: Manipulative. Two-faced. Bad in sports. Superficial. No sense of humor. Fake smile. Brie. :D Xander.

MICHELLE
Strengths: Popular cheerleader. Athletic. Yearbook editor. Friendly. Good cook. Nice.
Weaknesses: Bad skin. Wears polyester. PB Crazy :?: Dandruff. Too much makeup. Never studies.

HOLLY
Strengths: Debate skills. Straight A's. Drill team. :?: Good in sports. Always studying. Nice. Sweet.
Weaknesses: Few friends. New student. No boyfriend. Introvert. Always studying.

- VEEP

Användarvisningsbild
caffeineaddict
Tyrolerhatten

Inläggav VelocityBoy » lör jun 12, 2004 21:03

Hehe jag hade inte heller lagt märke till det där... roligt :)
Användarvisningsbild
VelocityBoy
Zeppo

Inläggav caffeineaddict » lör jun 12, 2004 21:05

Vågar någon gissa sig på vad "PB Crazy" och "Drill Team" är för något? "Peanut butter crazy"?

- VEEP

Användarvisningsbild
caffeineaddict
Tyrolerhatten

Inläggav VelocityBoy » lör jun 12, 2004 21:10

Ingen aning...
Användarvisningsbild
VelocityBoy
Zeppo

Inläggav Langtry » sön jun 13, 2004 0:02

Drill team är väl de som står och svänger på käppar när skolorkestern spelar?

Edit: stavfel
Senast redigerad av Langtry sön jun 13, 2004 13:10, redigerad totalt 1 gång.

That'll put marzipan in your pie plate, Bingo!
Användarvisningsbild
Langtry
Zeppo

Inläggav VelocityBoy » sön jun 13, 2004 13:09

Jo naturligtvis är de det... I knew that! :D
Användarvisningsbild
VelocityBoy
Zeppo

Inläggav caffeineaddict » sön jun 13, 2004 14:18

Just det ja... det borde jag också ha förstått. Jag föreställde mig skolflickor med en massa stora borrar och sen svävade fantasin iväg.

- VEEP

Användarvisningsbild
caffeineaddict
Tyrolerhatten

Inläggav Mr Chase » tor jun 17, 2004 19:46

PB Crazy = en som tillbringar alldeles för mycket tid på ett Internetforum, PB står visst för Postage Board eller något sådant och var en aktuell sajt när Buffy gick ursprungligen och där Joss & Co postade info och så, och tittarna kunde själva posta.

Vi skulle väl ha BF Crazy :) !
Användarvisningsbild
Mr Chase
Zeppo

Inläggav Calle » tis jul 20, 2004 1:14

Tittade igen några avsnitt från s3 idag och kom till "Homecoming", och det måste vara ett av de roligast avsnitten i buffy.
Willow: "There were, you know, razor scooters and pictures of the vulcan lady on Enterprise."
Xander: "Ooh! I mean pff, nerds"
Användarvisningsbild
Calle
Minion

Inläggav Koala » fre sep 17, 2004 12:05

Jodå, detta avsnitt är helt aight, kul med cordy vs bufster. En klar 7!

Slutet var rätt kul också
<poserdoser> Koala^^ då hade jag lesbisk sex med din mamma
Användarvisningsbild
Koala
Scooby

Inläggav Angelus » lör dec 04, 2004 10:11

Underhållande avsnitt...grymt mycket bra scener och karaktärer...tje mayor bland annat. Måste ge creds till cordy också för sitt tal till Mr Gorch )
"me, myself and my lvl 60"
Användarvisningsbild
Angelus
Minion

Re: 3x05 Homecoming

Inläggav Emily » tor dec 16, 2004 17:10

caffeineaddict skrev:The clothes fluke! Ojojoj, den är så rolig, så romantisk, så sorglig, allt på en och samma gång! HELT fantastisk scen, med en alldeles sanslös kemi mellan Aly (sällan vackrare) och Nick ("We need to get out of these clothes!")

Verkligen underbar scen!

Cordelia är lite för elak mot Buffy. Men älskar henne i slutet

Cordelia: Whatever. The point is, I haven't even broken a sweat. See, in the end, Buffy's just the runner-up. *I'm* the Queen. You get me mad, what do you think I'm gonna do to you?
:D

The Mayor is here :P
Angelus: Violate our women!
Användarvisningsbild
Emily
Minion

Re: 3x05 Homecoming

Inläggav caffeineaddict » tor dec 16, 2004 20:12

Emily skrev:Cordelia är lite för elak mot Buffy.

Jag skulle snarare påstå att det är tvärtom, Buffy är lite för out of character-elak mot Cordy (t.ex. "Vapid whore!" även om just det är precis tokroligt).

- VEEP

Användarvisningsbild
caffeineaddict
Tyrolerhatten

Inläggav Emily » tor dec 16, 2004 21:33

Sant.

Men jag tänkte den här
CORDELIA: No. It involves being part of this school and having actual friends

Lite väl personal.
Angelus: Violate our women!
Användarvisningsbild
Emily
Minion

Inläggav Binchy » fre jan 07, 2005 16:37

Slayerfest -98, bara den frasen gör ju att det här avsnittet är underhållande. Mr Trick är med, Scott är ute ur bilden (Go Faith, give him what he deserves). Mrs Gorch har fruktansvärd accent, men det är väl tyvärr så de pratar i vissa delar av Södern.

Favo-citat:
Xander: How do I put this? Are we on first, second, or, uh... ye gods?
Willow: That's none of your business, Alexander Harris.

Oz: As Willow goes, so goes my nation.
We saved the world, I say we party! I mean... I got all pretty.
Buffy: I'm gonna give you all a nice, fun, normal evening if I have to kill every person on the face of the Earth to do it.
Xander: Yay?

An archaeologist is the best husband any woman can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her - Agatha Christie Mallowan, or not
Användarvisningsbild
Binchy
Slayer

Inläggav latarmig » mån jan 10, 2005 3:12

På tavlan över Cordelias svagheter står det "Brie", vilket är svårt att fatta. Först tänkte jag att hon tyckte om brie och att brie därmed stod för högfärdighet och tillgjordhet (typisk överklassattiralj). Men i "Dead Man's Party" (3x02) säger hon om brie att den luktar som Giles döda zombiekatt, så någon brie-fantast lär hon inte vara.

Några andra förslag?
latarmig
Big Bad

Nästa

Återgå till Buffy Säsong 3