Serenity (allmänt snack)

I detta forum hör allmänna diskussioner om Firefly och Serenity hemma.

Inläggav anno_superstar » sön jan 23, 2005 18:02

man kan aldrig ha för mycket kobjällror.
anno_superstar
Demon Fodder

Inläggav noike » sön jan 23, 2005 18:04

Yog-Sothoth skrev:Howard Shore tror jag inte skulle passa, fråga mig inte varför... men det känns varken som att ett elektroniskt eller ett orkestralt soundtrack skulle passa den filmen, snarare något mitt emellan (som i serien).

Howard Shore är riktigt bra annars, och bra mycket mångsidigare än de flesta. Han anpassar sig till vad som filmen kräver.
“It's like algebra. Why you gotta put numbers and letters together? Why can't you just go fuck yourself?”
Wayne, Letterkenny.

:: snow crunch :: poäng: 51 / 100 ::
Användarvisningsbild
noike
also cute and fluffy!

Inläggav Yog-Sothoth » sön jan 23, 2005 21:12

noike skrev:
Yog-Sothoth skrev:Howard Shore tror jag inte skulle passa, fråga mig inte varför... men det känns varken som att ett elektroniskt eller ett orkestralt soundtrack skulle passa den filmen, snarare något mitt emellan (som i serien).

Howard Shore är riktigt bra annars, och bra mycket mångsidigare än de flesta. Han anpassar sig till vad som filmen kräver.

Av vad jag kan om Shore verkar det som om att han är duktig på att anpassa musiken till det tillhörande temat, om det nu är en viss musikstil eller en valfri kultur... de gånger filmerna har varit av mer "neutral" karaktär har soundtracket varit ganska intetsägande... men det kan hända att du har rätt. LoTR-soundtracket var lysande...

Vill göra ett litet tillägg om att jag faktiskt har sett Shore dirigera en hel symfoniorkester i två timmar spelandes musik från alla tre LoTR-filmerna. Det var mäktigt...
Användarvisningsbild
Yog-Sothoth
Big Bad

Inläggav CheeseGuy » sön jan 23, 2005 21:30

Jag tror att Shore skulle kunna göra ett lysande soundtrack. Men det är ju jag, som knappt kan någonting om musik (min skivsamling består av just Shores tre LOTR-soundtrack) :D Jag tänker bara på att de kommer att åka runt och stöta på olika kulturer, och så sägs filmen vara mer episk än serien. Det borde passa Shore utmärkt.
Användarvisningsbild
CheeseGuy
Zeppo

Inläggav CheeseGuy » sön jan 23, 2005 21:43

Joss har kommenterat vad som hände på WHEDONEsque:

Well, I just read the link to Carter's page. Not overly verbose, is he? Anyway, I thought I'd let you all in on the details of the sitch, as best I can.

First off, when this movie got off the ground, the studio made it clear that I would need to use someone with a good deal of movie experience to score it, which was perfectly valid, though it ruled out a lot of guys, including Greg, that I loved working with. So entering the world of big-or-medium-time movie composers, the first person I thought of was Carter Burwell. I'd known his work since Blood Simple, have always been (and always will be) a slavish fan. We're talking about a guy who's penned some of the most indelible tunes in movies: Raising Arizona, Miller's Crossing, Rob Roy, Gods and Monsters, even It Could Happen To You had an achingly beautiful score. I had met him years ago and he's a gent. I was surprised and thrilled to have him on the film.

You know how it is when you have two friends you love very much and you set 'em up on a date? Hiring a composer is kind of like that. However much you might love your friends and think they'll be a perfect match, the odds of their actually getting together are slim. Also, sometimes you forget to tell one of your friends something important about the other, like she's very political, or narcoleptic, or doesn't have a face... The movie as I first described it and the movie as it turned out were kind of different, the needs of the score different as well. Carter did some great work, really interesting, but in the end my two friends didn't end up dating. It happens, as I've learned, a lot. The fact is, Carter and I both felt the tension, an imperfect sympatico on the project, and this hardly came out of the blue. We might have soldiered on but he has other obligations looming and we kind of had to start from scratch, so it just became untenable, schedule-wise. I will always be a huge fan of Carter's and may one day make the kind of film that's right for him. Meanwhile, we move on. I will have a new composer soon and the work will continue. The movie will be what it needs to be.

But most importantly, who DOESN'T want to see a Coen brothers Space Opera? Dreamlogic, are you nuts? I'm salivating over that!

This wasn't a fun week for anyone, but we learn as we go. I'll check in with you guys anon. -j.
Användarvisningsbild
CheeseGuy
Zeppo

Inläggav AKS » sön jan 23, 2005 22:03

Fuck alltså, the Whedon kan alltid säga allt så fantastiskt bra. Allt han säger/skriver låter intelligent och är alltid underhållande.

Synd att det inte fungerade, men det verkade ju som att det inte fungerade av "rätt" anledning s.a.s.. Jag har, som ni märker, inte the Whedons förmåga att uttrycka sig. Hehe.
Last.fm | Avatar av: B-F

Well done. Here come the test results: "You are a horrible person." That's what it says: a horrible person. We weren't even testing for that.
-- Portal 2

A pit is not complete without a Freeman climbing out of it.
-- vortigaunt i Half-Life 2: Episode 2
Användarvisningsbild
AKS
Official Goddess

Inläggav Off » sön jan 23, 2005 23:03

Bra att det var han som kände att det var fel och inte några bossar för bolaget.
Chuck D:
If you don't stand for something, you fall for anything
Harder than you think, it's a beautiful thing
Användarvisningsbild
Off
Chosen

Inläggav Glorificus » mån jan 24, 2005 5:32

Nu känns det inte heller helt fel att premiären blev uppskjuten till september. Joss & co slipper känna sig så stressat pressade att hitta kompositör som de skulle ha gjort om premiären var i april. ;)
brat: "jag kopierade galet"
brat: "du kan sluta läsa det där"
Glory: "hihi"
brat: "nu"
- msn-klassiker 2012-08-25, kl. 02.12

"Excuse me." - Boreanaz till brat & Glory, Halloween -04
Användarvisningsbild
Glorificus
Watcher

Inläggav CheeseGuy » mån jan 24, 2005 15:35

Längre kommentar från Carter Burwell (från http://www.carterburwell.com/tbi_project_pages/Serenity.shtml):

This was to be my next film score, to be recorded in February, and released in September, 2005, but I got fired a few weeks before recording was to begin.

It's an outer-space-Western-horror-action-comedy, written and directed by Joss Whedon, best known as the creator of "Buffy The Vampire Slayer." This will be the first feature Joss has directed.

While the project was challenging I thought it was going well. Joss' responses were sometimes positive, sometimes not, but it seemed we were getting to a score he liked.

What made the job difficult was that the score needed to reflect whatever was happening on screen moment by moment. And there were a hundred minutes of those moments.

This is a traditional role for film music - "what you see is what you hear" - but it's the opposite of my usual approach, which is to find something for music to say which is not otherwise there. Of course I have often worked in the traditional mode, but I do find it challenging.

Kommentar från Greg Edmonson (från http://forums.prospero.com/foxfirefly/messages?msg=20978.23):
20978.23 in reply to 20978.16

Hi To all,

Your unceasing support has meant everything to me. I am constantly
amazed that you still remember and love a show that met such an untimely
demise (at least temporarily).

I am taking a risk (of sorts) by responding to this subject at all so I need to be very clear. There are no negatives here. My experience working on "Firefly" was nothing but wonderful. A lot of hard work but wonderful and supportive people (who really cared)

Would I love to do this project--of course. I believe that you all know
that I truly loved this show and it was and is one of the great joys of my professional career.

Joss gave me an opportunity (on the TV version) and I believe that I did not let him down. Should such an opportunity come again (and I would need a champion on this one) I would not fail to give it everything that my heart has to give--Thanks again for your wonderful support

Greg Edmonson
Användarvisningsbild
CheeseGuy
Zeppo

Inläggav Illyria » mån jan 24, 2005 22:36

Eventuellt lite småspoilers:

Tim Minear Says : Serenity Will Surprise
From Scifi.com - 2005-01-24th

Tim Minear, executive producer of the short-lived Fox SF television series Firefly, told SCI FI Wire that the upcoming feature-film version of the show, Serenity, will have treats for the devoted fans. "If you loved Firefly, then you will love this movie," Minear said in an interview while promoting his upcoming CBS series, The Inside. "Fans are certainly not going to sit there and be bored while they learn about these people. They won’t."

Minear said that he is particularly impressed by the new developments in the character of River, played by Summer Glau, who is revealed to be extraordinarily skilled at martial arts. "She’s amazing," he said. "And the way Joss shot it, you can tell it’s her-long, continuous takes, the camera moving around a certain fight. And it’s Summer. It’s her."

Other characters will take some surprising turns as well, Minear promised. "Oh, yeah," he said. "Oh. Yeah. It’s pretty shocking." Serenity opens in theaters Sept. 30.

http://www.buffy.nu/article.php3?id_article=8091
Användarvisningsbild
Illyria
Watcher

Inläggav Yog-Sothoth » mån jan 24, 2005 22:58

Illyria: Du kanske skall spoilermarkera det där. Alla kanske inte vill veta att
River kommer att slåss en massa i filmen.
Användarvisningsbild
Yog-Sothoth
Big Bad

Inläggav CheeseGuy » tor jan 27, 2005 14:05

Från http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=19259:

Whedon’s SERENITY Rides Again -- And Converts Another FIREFLY Non-Fan!!

I am – Hercules!!
When Universal mounted its first test-screening of “Serenity” in Chatsworth, Calif., last month, everyone I spoke to in line seemed to know what they were seeing, even if they weren’t terribly familiar with its writer-director or the TV show on which the movie is based.
Now it looks like the studio arranged a second test-screening of Joss Whedon’s directorial debut Tuesday night in Ventura, Calif., but this time invited people who had no idea what they were seeing until they were in their seats.
Our reviewer counts himself as a Whedon fan, but says he didn’t much care for “Firefly” before he saw the movie. Now he’s keen to catch up with every episode.
Call him “Artie Dodger”:

What happens when a Whedon fan sees "Serenity" with the uninformed? FRUSTRATION!

The Century theater in Ventura held a secret screening last night. It turned out to be "Serenity". I was quite happy when the title was announced along with a few others who whooped and hollered but most had never heard of it. There were a few awkward chuckles. Meanwhile we were burning up in the theater and packed pretty tight. This was going to be tough crowd.

I absolutely loved the movie. I was not in love with the show before, but now I will be pulling the box set off the shelf and watching the 10 episodes I haven't seen.

The crown reaction seemed mixed. I heard laughs and cheers and one good scream during a scary part ... and a lot more laughter after that. I don't think most people were expecting sci-fi. Some of the women had a problem with the violence. Not me ... bring on the Reavers!!! Still I think a lot of non-Whedonites left pretty pissed off. I heard stuff like "waste of time", "worst movie ever" " why didn't they have laser?" ... blah blah blah... I'm sure they'll all line up to see "Constantine" with Keanu Reeves.

Joss, if you're listening, don't change the film based on these morons. Don't let the studio push you around. It's a great film. Mal, River, and the rest of the cast rocks!

Seconded! “Serenity” will never appeal to every demographic, but it's a precision-forged entertainment and certain to create legions of fiercely loyal advocates. If the studio tries to sand off its edges in a bid for universal appeal, there’s every chance it won’t appeal to anybody.

It launches into cinemas Sept. 30.

Användarvisningsbild
CheeseGuy
Zeppo

Inläggav Yog-Sothoth » lör jan 29, 2005 4:08

Alla har säkert redan läst det här, men jag lägger in det ändå:

This is for Starfury:Serenity ticket holders ONLY !!

""As many of you may have been reading on the internet, Universal
have
been conducting a series of test screenings of an advance print of
SERENITY to gauge audience reaction to the film.

At 6:30pm on Tuesday 8th February, Universal will be showing
SERENITY
for the first time outside of the US at a cinema in central London.

It is not a complete version of the film. The music score has yet to
be done, and the bulk of the special effects have yet to be
completed. It may also undergo further re-edits or changes between
now and the final release in September.

Chris Buchanan, the producer of SERENITY, and Michael Boretz, Joss
Whedon's assistant, thought it would be cool to let British
Browncoats have an incredible opportunity to see SERENITY a full 8
months prior to release!

They have kindly asked Universal to make a number of tickets
available exclusively to STARFURY to distribute to FIREFLY Fans.

So if you've booked to attend STARFURY: SERENITY, and you'll be able
to get to central London by 6:30pm on Tuesday 8th February, you
could
end up seeing SERENITY!

If you are a ticket holder for STARFURY: SERENITY and whish to go to
this screening, please e-mail me at SeanHarry@aol.com requesting
tickets. Please let me know your ticket number for STARFURY:
SERENITY
(it'll be strictly one film ticket per attendee).

Alternatively you can phone me on 07930 319 119 anytime between 10am
to 6pm Monday through Friday.

If any tickets are still available on Wednesday then we will make
them available for those who have not booked to attend STARFURY:
SERENITY as well."

Kan även läsas här.
Användarvisningsbild
Yog-Sothoth
Big Bad

Inläggav Lobo » lör jan 29, 2005 19:32

CheeseGuy skrev:...I'm sure they'll all line up to see "Constantine" with Keanu Reeves.

Ogillar alla som klagar jämt och ständigt på Keanu, men den kommentaren var faktiskt rolig. :D

En dum fråga kanske, men heter fortfarande filmen Serenity och inte Starfury:Serenity? Läste att folk klaga på namnet för att det lät som en tjejfilm.
Lobo
Demon Fodder

Inläggav Yog-Sothoth » lör jan 29, 2005 19:37

Den har väl alltid hetat Serenity?
Användarvisningsbild
Yog-Sothoth
Big Bad

Inläggav Lobo » lör jan 29, 2005 20:11

Det var de jag trodde, men det stog ju "Starfury: Serenity" i texten ovan. Det var väl bara jag som missuppfattade saken.

Blir det inte lite väl mycke Serenity? Serenity Valley, skeppet Serenity, pilotavsnittet serenity, filmen serenity? Blir virrig i huvudet. :eek:
Lobo
Demon Fodder

Inläggav noike » lör jan 29, 2005 20:24

Lobo skrev:Blir det inte lite väl mycke Serenity? Serenity Valley, skeppet Serenity, pilotavsnittet serenity, filmen serenity? Blir virrig i huvudet. :eek:

Sedan har vi Old Man Serenity, som bodde i den där dalen.
“It's like algebra. Why you gotta put numbers and letters together? Why can't you just go fuck yourself?”
Wayne, Letterkenny.

Användarvisningsbild
noike
also cute and fluffy!

Inläggav Glorificus » tis feb 08, 2005 5:31

Lobo skrev:Det var de jag trodde, men det stog ju "Starfury: Serenity" i texten ovan. Det var väl bara jag som missuppfattade saken.

Starfury heter gruppen/företaget (?) som ordnar konventet. De organiserar en hel del konvent - kolla bara in http://www.starfury.co.uk

Men oavsett vad undertitlarna på konventen är brukar folk på plats kalla dem Starfury. :)
brat: "jag kopierade galet"
brat: "du kan sluta läsa det där"
Glory: "hihi"
brat: "nu"
- msn-klassiker 2012-08-25, kl. 02.12

"Excuse me." - Boreanaz till brat & Glory, Halloween -04
Användarvisningsbild
Glorificus
Watcher

Inläggav AKS » sön feb 13, 2005 19:00

Jag ber om ursäkt om detta är en upprepning, men enligt källor på Serenityhemsidans messageboard så har Serenity bestämda releasedatum i Skandinavien:

Good news Scandinavia!!!!

Monica says that all Scandinavian countries have a definite release date, all countries have it in November except Iceland, their release date is in October. Monica does have exact dates but is not allowed to say yet. but anyway all your countries have release dates for the cinema so stop panicking but keep recruiting!

Robyn.

Då jag besökte MB:n varje dag visste jag vem Monica var, men nu kommer jag inte ihåg... Nåväl, det *verkar* ju bra i alla fall. November... låååång väntan. Men bättre det än ingen biopremiär alls. (I Norge tycks premiärdatumet vara 4 november.)

Well done. Here come the test results: "You are a horrible person." That's what it says: a horrible person. We weren't even testing for that.
-- Portal 2

Användarvisningsbild
AKS
Official Goddess

Inläggav noike » sön feb 13, 2005 19:03

AKS skrev:Nåväl, det *verkar* ju bra i alla fall. November... låååång väntan. Men bättre det än ingen biopremiär alls. (I Norge tycks premiärdatumet vara 4 november.)

DO THE DANCE OF JOY!
Wayne, Letterkenny.

Användarvisningsbild
noike
also cute and fluffy!

Inläggav Off » sön feb 13, 2005 19:06

Yayayayayayayayayay!

Dags att boka in omtitt av Firefly i början på november.
Chuck D:
If you don't stand for something, you fall for anything
Harder than you think, it's a beautiful thing
Användarvisningsbild
Off
Chosen

Inläggav Illyria » sön feb 13, 2005 19:20

Nu väntar jag bara på att få reda på vilka städer den kommer gå upp i också... ser ju helst att den kommer gå här så jag slipper åka nånstans.
Användarvisningsbild
Illyria
Watcher

Inläggav AKS » sön feb 13, 2005 19:23

Mm, jag är tyvärr inte alls säker på att den kommer att gå upp här. Men kickar BDM ass i USA så lär den nog göra det...

-- Portal 2

Användarvisningsbild
AKS
Official Goddess

Inläggav Illyria » sön feb 13, 2005 19:27

Min plan kommer vara att försöka få med mig några vänner att se filmen men om det är i en annan stad så lär det inte gå lika bra. Men det kommer väl dröja ett ganska bra tag innan sånt meddelas misstänker jag?
Användarvisningsbild
Illyria
Watcher

Inläggav Yog-Sothoth » sön feb 13, 2005 20:28

Illyria & AKS: Vad är "här", det står inte på någon av er var ni bor?
Användarvisningsbild
Yog-Sothoth
Big Bad

Inläggav noike » sön feb 13, 2005 20:50

Yog-Sothoth skrev:Illyria & AKS: Vad är "här", det står inte på någon av er var ni bor?

AKS har jag för mig bor två timmar eller så med tåg uppåt härifrån. Illyria vet jag inte men jag skulle gissa 6 timmar söderut?
Wayne, Letterkenny.

Användarvisningsbild
noike
also cute and fluffy!

Inläggav Illyria » sön feb 13, 2005 21:11

Och 6 timmar söderut innebär Skåne, vilket är korrekt.
Användarvisningsbild
Illyria
Watcher

Inläggav Horrabin » mån feb 21, 2005 20:51

Vet inte om jag missat att det redan har nämnts här i tråden, men ny kompositör är tydligen David Newman (Galaxy Quest, Scooby Doo). Det plus en hel del mer finns att hitta under mitt spoilerblock. Det är hämtat från AICN.

För de som inte vågar läsa kan jag peka ut huvudstyckena:
- Presentationen på WonderCon av Serentity var tydligen mycket lyckad, och Nathan och Adam var mycket roliga. Summer var vacker.
- Lite beskrivning av några scener ur filmen som tydligen visades
- Joss säger att inspirationen till Reavers kommer från de äldre Western-filmernas skräck för indianer
- Joss hoppas kunna göra mer av Firefly/Serentity, men det beror på hur det går med filmen. Han tror Fox kommer försöka mjölka så mycket pengar som möjligt ur den i alla fall.
- Angående mer Buffy/Angel/Spike så är Joss intresserad men att saken ligger bortom hans kontroll

Så till presentationen av Serentity på WonderCon:
This was definitely the most interesting and entertaining presentation of the day. Joss Whedon started off the presentation by announcing his run on Astonshing X-men will last another 12 issues and will wrap up with a “Giant Size” issue after that. Tragically, I’ve never seen Firefly (although I do own it... it’s a long story) so as I newcomer to this series I was deeply impressed. Joss, Nathan Fillion, and Adam Baldwin were absolutely hilarious and played off of each others jokes while Summer Glau sat there looking gorgeous. The clip shown was a full scene from the movie and involved the Serenity crew robbing a bank. The scene had a few short fights (including one shot where Adam’s character trips a guard, catches his feet in mid air, and pile drives him), some humorous moments involving guns and guards asking for bruises (to appear as if they fought back), and ended with a Reavers ship containing a rival psychic arriving which forces the crew to defend the people th ey just robbed. Joss mentioned that you will learn more about the Reavers in this movie and where they come from (apparently when you reach the edge of space you lose your mind). He also explained that his inspiration for the Reavers followed the Western theme of the fear of Indians. The main “villains” of the Old West were Apache Indians, and people were frightened of a group of savages who knew the terrain and would torture and mutilate anyone they captured. Of course he was talking about the Indian stereotype of the time and did not mean to insult anyone. He then went on to say that if the movie is successful he would love to do more movies/TV episodes but until then the future of the series is up in the air. He joked that if it is a success then he’s sure Fox will milk every type of media from it (soundtrack CDs, etc). At present there will be a 3 issue comic series that ties the end of the TV series with the movie, and each comic will have 3 variant covers created by different artists (his “dream team”). Next, he addressed the dismissal of the music composer and the replacement being David Newman (Galaxy Quest). He seemed really excited about this and even claimed that River’s new theme nearly brought him to tears. The only question he evaded was when confronted that one of the nine crew members was going to have a very limited role in the movie (“Next question” was the reply). Finally, Buffy/Angel/Spike movies were addressed but Joss claimed they were out of his hands but he was interested.
"I wish to do more violence."
Användarvisningsbild
Horrabin
Minion

Inläggav CheeseGuy » mån feb 21, 2005 21:12

Vad tror ni att David Newman kan åstadkomma? Av hans filmer jag bara sett Ice Age, och det är lite oroväckande att han nästan bara har gjort musik till komedier.
Användarvisningsbild
CheeseGuy
Zeppo

Inläggav Yog-Sothoth » mån feb 21, 2005 21:13

Intressant parallell med reavers/indianer. Ungefär som att människor i framtiden har gått tillbaka i tiden precis som nybyggarna i USA gjorda. Reavers kanske inte är så onda som man tror, det kanske mest är rykten att skrämma små barn med?
Användarvisningsbild
Yog-Sothoth
Big Bad

FöregåendeNästa

Återgå till Allmänt om Firefly