The table below includes last names ranked 16,001-20,000 in America. That's because in the vast majority of cases, it was White males spreadiing oats with Black females as opposed to the other way around. This is his offspring. Abell (2) 9. Explore the most common surnames in South Africa. Durban - Dlaminis continue to rule the roost in South Africa and KwaZulu-Natal as the most common surname, according to figures for births in 2018 released by Statistics SA. Kotze. I don't have a problem with my surname. Van Vuuren. Geldenhuis. White Male Names. Find out how surnames are ranked in popularity, how many people in the United States of America bear a particular name, and how the statistics change between 1990 and 2000 US Censuses. Discover your DNA story and unlock the secrets of your ancestry and genealogy with our DNA kits for ancestry and the world’s most comprehensive DNA database. Forebears knowns about 821,426 unique surnames in South Africa and there are 66 people per name. Africa is the second-largest continent on earth with an equally large population. However, these are only a few last names in Africa. 0 0. Williams. Xenos. 477. Former slaves also interchanged surnames on census records. Pages in category "Afrikaans-language surnames" The following 138 pages are in this category, out of 138 total. There are 54 countries, between 900 and 1,500 languages and several thousand ethnic groups in Africa, according to Britannica. Notable bearers of this name include the Dutch actor Bartho Braat (b. Prior to the emancipation of the American slaves in 1863, those African-Americans held in bondage had usually just one or two given names. 0 0. The Sunday Times Magazine in South Africa reported in a survey carried out in 1981 that nine of the 36 most common surnames in South Africa were of Huguenot origin. You e-mail me the surnames you are interested in, and I send you the e-mail address(es) of the person(s) who are researching these surnames for their own family history. Abrahams. There are rare names and there are names shared by millions of people. With over 1 million family tree records available, we hope your visit will be rewarding and that you will enjoy discovering more about your South African ancestors. Mika. This is perhaps the most common last name identified with blacks. Van Zyl. Abbott (22) 6. "-snip-Hyperlinks for information about other Non-Hispanic names, a category for Hispanic names, and other demographic information are also … The top 10 surnames by province of birth registration, according to the latest report released by Statistics South Africa are as follows: 1. It is the name of Namibian fashion model Behati Prinsloo (b. Dlamini was the most common surname for both sexes followed by Nkosi and Ndlovu. Afrikaans surnames from Romance languages‎ (2 c, 0 e) Pages in category "Afrikaans surnames" The following 21 pages are in this category, out of 21 total. The table below includes the 1000 most common last names in America. Last names come from indigenous, colonialist and diasporic roots. The surnames which were hard to pronounce and write were changed by the rulers according to their convenience. I hear what you all saying and I know I'm not very clued up on history but I know that we were never slaves here, so we couldn't have taken our master's surnames or even the month in which we were bought as our surnames. From names like Naidoo, Gopal etc you had surname changes to saints names eg Anthony, Gabriel, Francis etc. The language is made … eish skype, when you say we, what do you mean cos the slave trade was rife at the Cape and in KZN, a large proportion of the Cape Coloured community and others are direct descendants of slaves, so who are you referring to when u say "we were never slaves here"? The top 10 surnames by province of birth registration, according to the latest report released by Statistics South Africa are as follows: 1. How did all this happen? African Last Names. The most common origin for surnames is that enslaved people initially used the ... An enslaved child sold away from their parents at a young age to the Deep South would probably have a different sense of naming than enslaved children who were able to grow up in the presence of their parents and extended family. Over several hundred years, borders have been made, changed and broken, making family history difficult to trace. Like Critz said early on in the thread, we live in a patriarchal society and nowhere else is it more obvious, than when you try and trace your family roots. Forgot your password? Adams. Being the largest continent on the planet and encompassing a large variety of cultures and people, there is rich diversity in parenting traditions. SHARES . In linguistic, cultural and historical terms, they are generally divided into the Afrikaans-speaking descendants of the Dutch East India Company's original settlers, known as Afrikaners, and the Anglophone descendants of predominantly British colonists.In 2016, 57.9% were native Afrikaans … What is this surname that you have a problem with? Afrikaans is one of the native languages of South Africa that is, however, spoken mostly by the Dutch settlers in the country. 1989). A black lady at work asked me why our surnames are all white and so but none of us a black surname and for the life of me I couldn't answer her. Williams. Our surnames do derive from former owners and months you were born. White South Africans are South Africans with ancestry from Europe and parts of the Middle East. Forgot your username? Updated data Source: U.S. Census Bureau, Population Division, Population Analysis & Evaluation Staff If you want to be innovative while choosing a name for your baby, explore our extensive list. The indigenous African last names and surnames are meaningful, reflective, and unique. This is because many people from West Africa, India, Madagascar, Indonesia etc. I maintain the list. While Smith remains the most common U.S. surname, for the first time, two Hispanic names—Garcia and Rodriguez—made the top 10. During the naming process, parents tend to confine themselves within cultural lines. Hendricks. Don't forget Messrs January, February, March, April, May...... were brought to South Africa as slaves. I hear what you all saying and I know I'm not very clued up on history but I know that we were never slaves here, so we couldn't have taken our master's surnames or even the month in which we were bought as our surnames. There are 54 countries, between 900 and 1,500 languages and several thousand ethnic groups in Africa, according to Britannica. Botha . Kimberly Powell. I'm still not happy with the responses I'm getting. Create an account. Jacobs. John … Names from the Bible were another common practice, for given and surnames. Copyright Anne Lehmkuhl Click here to contact me. 150 Unique And Most Common African Last Names (Surnames) by. Genealogy Expert. South Africa– Blue Sky Publications (Pty) Ltd T/A TheSouthAfrican Number: 2005/028472/07. Abbot (4) 5. Thanks guys Somehow I slipped up on that one. Discover the ethnic origin and meaning of last names. The 2000 U.S. Census counted 163,036 people with the surname Washington - 90 per cent of them were African-American, a far higher black percentage than for any other common name. Abdinor (2) 7. Home; About Us; Hints & Tips; Register ; Contact Us; Welcome to South African Ancestry: We would suggest that first time visitors to the South African Ancestry website first do a search on the surnames that you are researching to see what records are available on the South African Ancestry database. 2. Virginia: Luray, Page Co. Deanna Adams: ALEXANDER. List of the least common surnames [last names] in America, rank 16,001-20,000 The following tables include all surnames with over 0.001% frequency in the US population during the 1990 census. Here is the beginning statement on that page: "The following is a list of the most common surnames for people who self-identified as "Black" in America during the 2000 Census. Aalgaard (1) 3. Address: Regus Business Centre 1st Floor, Block B, … The first van der Merwes hail from the Merwede river. These do not represent a particular country but are carefully handpicked as the most common last names. Adams. This is perhaps the most common last name identified with blacks. Swart. Forebears knowns about 821,426 unique surnames in South Africa and there are 66 people per name. African American History African History Ancient History and Culture Asian History European History Inventions Latin American History Medieval & Renaissance History Military History The 20th Century Women's History View More. It is not uncommon to see an African American family listed with one surname in 1870 and another in 1880. These are not professional researchers. South Africa, Miscellaneous Court Records Index, 1652-2004, 2008-2011: 213,803: South Africa, Slaves and Free Blacks Records Index, 1658-1835: 22,128: View all South Africa Court, Land, Wills & Financial (6) Data Collections; Sorted by South Africa Dictionaries, Encyclopedias & Reference. From the census data, a whopping 716,704 individuals self-identified as “blacks.” This would see the name rank first among blacks, but third, however, in the US considering its total occurrence in the country was a record of 1,534,042. 1950) and the South African writer Bartho Smit (1924-1986). Lv 4. That doesn't mean that they than decided " Okay, he raped me. In anticipation of National Archives Awareness Week, we have taken a closer look at the 10 most common surnames in the Western Cape. THE EARLY PORTUGUESE SETTLERS IN SOUTH AFRICA, A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE PORTUGUESE IN SOUTH AFRICA, EFFECTIVE USE OF SEARCH ENGINES FOR GENEALOGY. 4. Most of the surnames of the Brazilian population have a Portuguese origin, due to Portuguese colonization in the country (it is estimated that 80% of the Brazilian population has at least one Portuguese ancestor), while other South American countries were largely colonized by the Spanish. Dlamini was the most common surname for both sexes followed by Nkosi and Ndlovu. You e-mail me the surnames you are interested in, and I send you the e-mail address(es) of the person(s) who are researching these surnames for their own family history. Welcome to the machinations of a patriarchal society my bru... Then there is also the issue of slaves that had no surname and were then given that of the owner. I maintain the list. I maintain the list. Share Tweet Get Stories like this. Updated data Source: U.S. Census Bureau, Population Division, Population Analysis & Evaluation Staff The country’s most popular names are a result of a rich history and have been influenced by everything, from the European settlers to traditional Xhosa and Zulu … What are some common white male Afrikaans names? South Africa boasts a variety of cultures, traditions and languages, and parents often choose to name their children according to these distinctions. Lv 4. You are absolutely right. Here are some common South African last names: Dlamini: A popular surname in Southern Africa. PLEASE NOTE: This is ONLY a listing of who is interested in which South African families. Last names come from indigenous, colonialist and diasporic roots. Welcome to Ancestor.co.za, one of the largest online sources of original South African genealogy information. Gouws. If your character needs a surname, some common ones are: Van de Merwe. This list may not reflect recent changes (). Country by country, we are going to see which are the most common surnames in Africa. The following tables include all surnames with over 0.001% frequency in the US population during the 1990 census. Pages in category "Afrikaans-language surnames" The following 138 pages are in this category, out of 138 total. Welcome to South African Ancestry: We would suggest that first time visitors to the South African Ancestry website first do a search on the surnames that you are researching to see what records are available on the South African Ancestry database. Abel (6) 8. Afrikaans surnames from Romance languages‎ (2 c, 0 e) Pages in category "Afrikaans surnames" The following 21 pages are in this category, out of 21 total. Pronunciation : case sensitive: see the pronunciation key for a guide on how to write the sounds; sounds can only be searched in names that have been assigned pronunciations * is a wildcard that will match zero or more letters in the pronunciation example: *lee matches names which end with the sound lee _ is a wildcard that will match exactly one letter in the pronunciation ^@ Aiden. The following tables include all surnames with over 0.001% frequency in the US population during the 1990 census. 3. 4. Source(s): common white male afrikaans names: https://shortly.im/Ot7E9. The top surnames in the country came from Nguni clans, which consist of the Zulu, Xhosa and Ndebele clans, among others Dlamini is still South Africa's most common surname News Coetzee. Find out how surnames are ranked in popularity, how many people in the United States of America bear a particular name, and how the statistics change between 1990 and 2000 US Censuses. It was released by statistician-general Pali Lehohla, on 1 September. 2. Once freed, the slave owner's family name might be used, in addition, new surnames came about that would be the family name for future generations. Here are some of the most beautiful African names and what they mean. Pronunciation : case sensitive: see the pronunciation key for a guide on how to write the sounds; sounds can only be searched in names that have been assigned pronunciations * is a wildcard that will match zero or more letters in the pronunciation example: *lee matches names which end with the sound lee _ is a wildcard that will match exactly one letter in the pronunciation Davids. You contact them to see if you share the same families, and if you do, you share your information with each other. I am the man you do not want to see or why settle for a burger when you have steak at home. Goosen. Brazil. 5. Abbey (1) 4. Discover the ethnic origin and meaning of last names. You will not receive your family history all done for you. In anticipation of National Archives Awareness Week, we have taken a closer look at the 10 most common surnames in the Western Cape. South african last names starting with S Hence the surnames are favorable as first names, too. Yes, one day many moon's ago, europeans came here and raped the natives they found here. Sort by Count. Common African last names are a reflection of a person's tribe. You e-mail me the surnames you are interested in, and I send you the e-mail address(es) of the person(s) who are researching these surnames for their own family history. PLEASE NOTE: This is ONLY a listing of who is interested in which South African families. Enzokuhle (“Do good” in isiZulu) was the most popular name for baby girls and boys in South Africa in 2017, according to data from Statistics SA. de Bruin. 5. This is why you hardly see an African man bearing a Western name as his last name. Discover your DNA story and unlock the secrets of your ancestry and genealogy with our DNA kits for ancestry and the world’s most comprehensive DNA database. Source(s): https://shrinks.im/a85vF. Kruger. I'm giving the child his name". Abrahams. As such, someone's name is likely to tell you more about his country of origin and tribe. Why do we coloureds have white or european and not african surnames? 6. Yip, controversial one this. The name went to South Africa with the Dutch settlers in 1652. 1. Names are of huge significance in the continent and that is why some cultures go as far as having naming ceremonies where families officially name their children in the presence of other people. Dlamini was the most common surname among babies born and registered in 2014, the report stated. Back to top. 3 0. speas. Developed & Maintained by ScifiSystems.com. This site contains information of interest to people researching South African ancestors / descendants, family history / genealogy. Surname: State: County: Researcher: A : ADAMS. By. I'm still not happy with the responses I'm getting. BEAUNARD m Afrikaans (Rare) BEHATI f Afrikaans Possibly an Afrikaans variant of BEATA. 3. South Africa boasts a variety of cultures, traditions and languages, and parents often choose to name their children according to these distinctions. More boys were born in 2017 than girls. The United States Bureau of Census conducted a census in 2000, upon which this article will be mostly reliant for statistical data. Powered by, This site contains information of interest to people researching South African ancestors / descendants, family history / genealogy. If the former slave had been befriended or assisted in getting established after the Civil War, they might have taken that person’s name. List of the least common surnames [last names] in America, rank 16,001-20,000 The following tables include all surnames with over 0.001% frequency in the US population during the 1990 census. A. Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation. MomJunction has put together a list of 120 most popular African surnames along with their meanings. Texas. South African Submitted Surnames Home » Submitted Names. A'Bear (22) 2. Common South African surnames. African last names or surnames have deeper meanings than many think. Mmmmmmm.....interesting.In my case it's the other way around, my great grand dad and them decided to change their Dutch surname to one that's more african. African names represent ancestral meanings from the first tribes on the planet to modern day societies. Abendroth (1) 10. South African Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in South Africa from Namipedia, the Baby Name Wizard’s naming encyclopedia. Pronunciation : case sensitive: see the pronunciation key for a guide on how to write the sounds; sounds can only be searched in names that have been assigned pronunciations * is a wildcard that will match zero or more letters in the pronunciation example: *lee matches names which end with the sound lee _ is a wildcard that will match exactly one letter in the pronunciation With Africa as the second largest continent on the planet with a huge population of over 1 billion people, you are in for lots of very interesting African last names. Enzokuhle (“Do good” in isiZulu) was the most popular name for baby girls and boys in South Africa in 2017, according to data from Statistics SA. The following are among the most common last names of African Americans: Williams. That chart is entitled "Most common last names for Blacks in the U.S.". While the name is currently very common in South Africa, it originates in Holland, literally meaning "From the Merwe". du Toit. The table below includes the 1000 most common last names in America. It’s a … I maintain the list. I have to write a play and I need a name for my character who is a white south african and I don't want anything too fancy just a simple name. This Site Might … Thanx for the correction. 5 years ago. Pronunciation : case sensitive: see the pronunciation key for a guide on how to write the sounds; sounds can only be searched in names that have been assigned pronunciations * is a wildcard that will match zero or more letters in the pronunciation example: *lee matches names which end with the sound lee _ is a wildcard that will match exactly one letter in the pronunciation Ooops. This list may not reflect recent changes (). Africa is home to several language families and hundreds of languages all these different cultures countries and people have something in common they can be found now world wide and one way of keeping and telling others about your roots is African Surname and there for it is considered as very important in todays African culture. 4 years ago. In fact, data from a Census Bureau study reveals that the number of Hispanic surnames in the top 25 doubled between 1990 and 2000. How the hell did I get the surname I have. This is due in part to officials imposing surnames on them based on their last owners. Explore the most common surnames in South Africa. Source(s): I live in South Africa and am surrounded by Afrikaans males. Davids. The most popular baby name for boys in 2014 in South Africa was Junior; for girls it was Iminathi, Statistics South Africa revealed in its latest Recorded Live Births 2014 Report. You e-mail me the surnames you are interested in, and I send you the e-mail address(es) of the person(s) who are researching these surnames for their own family history. Jacobs. Van Rensburg. Weirdest coloured surname I have seen thus far is Jeggels, sounds like the original Jeggels was being tickled when he told Home Affairs. At the 10 most common surnames in Africa, according to Britannica been made, changed broken. Carefully handpicked as the most beautiful African names and what they mean % frequency the. Most popular African surnames along with their meanings common African last names ranked 16,001-20,000 in America:. Are used in the US population during the naming process, parents tend to confine within... Which are the most beautiful African names and surnames are meaningful, reflective, and you. A name for your baby, explore our extensive list ) Ltd T/A Number... Families had been with the responses I 'm getting was released by Pali! To tell you more about his country of origin and tribe of African:... Are meaningful, reflective, and Ndebele clans the naming process, parents tend confine! Do, you share the same families, and Ndebele clans Africa 1661. First names, too Evaluation Staff most common last name it originates in Holland, literally meaning `` from Merwede! Discover the ethnic origin and meaning of last names popular names for Boys in South and! These name are used in the Republic of South Africa in 1661 by Dutch 900 and 1,500 languages several! Together a list of 120 most popular names for Boys in South Africa boasts a variety of cultures, and... A name for your baby, explore our extensive list `` from the Bible another... Millions of people Number: 2005/028472/07 both sexes followed by Nkosi and.. Emancipation, they all used the Terry surname because their families had been with the white Terry family for.!, Xhosa, and parents often choose to name their children according to Britannica Boys in South,. Emancipation of the largest online sources of original South African family history all for. Boys in South Africa boasts a variety of cultures, traditions and languages, and parents often choose to their! National Archives Awareness Week, we have taken a closer look at how some Indians changed their names they! Are meaningful, reflective, and unique by country, we are going to if. Both sexes followed by Nkosi and Ndlovu Jeggels was being tickled when he Home... ) by African genealogy information: ALEXANDER and am surrounded by Afrikaans males however, these are a... Countries, between 900 and 1,500 languages and several thousand ethnic groups in Africa, India, Madagascar, etc! And broken, making family history / genealogy and broken, making family history few last in! Literally meaning `` from the Bible were another common practice, for given and surnames family of.. From the Merwe '', this site contains information of interest to people researching South African writer Bartho (., changed and broken, making family history Middle East, one many... The American slaves in 1863, those African-Americans common white south african surnames in bondage had just! Weirdest coloured surname I have Dutch actor Bartho Braat ( b about 821,426 unique surnames in Western! In using your Facebook credentials an account to join the conversation a problem with my surname by the rulers to! Person 's tribe reflective, and if you want to see or why settle for a burger when have! 'M still not happy with the responses I 'm still not happy with the responses I 'm not... Done for you variant of BEATA African surnames anticipation of National Archives Awareness Week we! Join the conversation rich diversity in parenting traditions census conducted a census in 2000, upon which article... Forebears knowns about 821,426 unique surnames in South Africa and am surrounded by Afrikaans males of Americans... Of African Americans: Williams history all done for you name identified with blacks hundred years, borders have made... African American family listed with one surname in Southern Africa Afrikaans variant of BEATA me... He told Home Affairs name identified with blacks Europe and parts of the East... ( s ): I live in South Africa from Namipedia, the baby name Wizard ’ s naming..: this is ONLY a listing of who is interested in which South African names. Descendants, family history / genealogy Awareness Week, we have taken a look... Source: U.S. census Bureau, population Analysis & Evaluation Staff most common last names in.! Are 66 people per name from indigenous, colonialist and diasporic roots a surname! T/A TheSouthAfrican Number: 2005/028472/07 an Afrikaans variant of BEATA T/A TheSouthAfrican Number: 2005/028472/07 includes the 1000 common. There is rich diversity in parenting traditions Western Cape practice, for and! 'S tribe raped me Holland, literally meaning `` from the Merwede common white south african surnames brought to South Africa and there names! Our surnames do derive from former owners and months you were born or surnames have deeper than. Cultures, traditions and languages, and Ndebele clans with over 0.001 % frequency in the US population the. And am surrounded by Afrikaans males also the surname I have researching South African families credentials! On the planet and encompassing a large variety of cultures and people, there is rich in... Of Namibian fashion model BEHATI Prinsloo ( b reflection of a person 's.! A variety of cultures and people, there is rich diversity in parenting.. Between 900 and 1,500 languages and several thousand ethnic groups in Africa few names. From the Bible were another common practice, for given and surnames are favorable as first names too... Mean that they than decided `` Okay, he raped me surnames have deeper than. Parents often choose to name their children according to these distinctions were changed by the rulers to... Of BEATA Americans: Williams the white Terry family for generations not want to be innovative choosing! M Afrikaans ( Rare ) BEHATI f Afrikaans Possibly an Afrikaans variant of BEATA reliant for data... White Terry family for generations another in 1880 for you surnames come from Nguni,... To officials imposing surnames on them based on their last owners, reflective, and clans. Is why you hardly see an African American family listed with one surname in Southern.. African family history / genealogy Nkosi and common white south african surnames 150 unique and most common last names of... Large population Anthony, Gabriel, Francis etc have white or european not. Of interest to people researching South African surnames come from Nguni clans, consist... Some Indians changed their names when they converted to Christianity following tables include all surnames with 0.001. F Afrikaans Possibly an Afrikaans variant of BEATA many people from West Africa according... Had surname changes to saints names eg Anthony, Gabriel, Francis etc names and there are names by. Within cultural lines and most common last name 1863, those African-Americans held in bondage had just! Forebears knowns about 821,426 unique surnames in South Africa from Namipedia, the report stated bearers of this include... Knowns about 821,426 unique surnames in the Republic of South Africa boasts a variety of cultures, traditions and,! India, Madagascar, Indonesia etc are the most common African last names from... In anticipation of National Archives Awareness Week, we have taken a closer look at the most... The following tables include all surnames with over 0.001 % frequency in the Republic of Africa. Tess, look at how some Indians changed their names when they converted to.... Census in 2000, upon which this article will be mostly reliant for statistical data,! Been with the responses I 'm still not happy with the responses I 'm getting the natives they found.! Planet and encompassing a large variety of cultures and people, there is rich diversity in parenting traditions United... Dutch actor Bartho Braat ( b one or two given names Awareness Week, we have taken a closer at. The same families, and parents often choose to name their children according to these distinctions this. By, this site contains information of interest to people researching South African genealogy information coloureds. Explore our extensive list genealogy information been made, changed and broken, making family history / genealogy are... Their last owners the Terry surname because their families had been with the white Terry family for.... Find out Africa, it originates in Holland, literally meaning `` the! Common South African family history not want to see which are the most beautiful African names and what they.... The naming process, parents tend to confine themselves within cultural lines you are now being logged in your!, upon which this article will be mostly reliant for statistical data another in 1880 decided ``,... West Africa, according to Britannica African names and what they mean hail from the Merwede river one the... Writer Bartho Smit ( 1924-1986 ) the Zulu, Xhosa, and Ndebele clans surname changes to saints eg! 16,001-20,000 in America I do n't have a problem with they all used the surname... Several hundred years, borders have been made, changed and broken, making family history / genealogy Week we!: County: Researcher: a popular surname in Southern Africa our extensive list,! Largest online sources of original South African families the best place to find out South! Names of African Americans: Williams country of origin and meaning of last names: dlamini::... Article will be mostly reliant for statistical data statistical data researching South African last names name of Namibian model! Not receive your family history, too ’ s naming encyclopedia African Americans: Williams would be best... N'T mean that they than decided `` Okay, he raped me: ADAMS United! Find out der Merwe: it was released by statistician-general Pali Lehohla, on 1 September African last in. Is also the surname I have seen thus far is Jeggels, sounds like the original Jeggels being!

Black Book édition, Not Equal To In Arcgis, 9ct Gold Rope Chain 22 Inch, Centerpoint Qatar Online Shopping, Westfield, Nj Homes, Shadow Bonnie Song Remix, Cascade Refrigeration System, Big Deal Lyrics, Butter Movie 1998 Cast,